Sunday, February 11, 2007

Top Ten #4

Best Spiritual Haven:
In the past 8 months I have spent time with Jesuit monks, Tibetan Refugees, Himalayan Buddhist monks, enjoyed philosophy discussions with Sadhus on the Ganges River, attended daily lectures by a Brahmin [this re-tired sergeant was amazing as he spent 7 years working silently in a kitchen, cleaning toilets etc … and then spoke one day to his colleagues who were surprised by his past – now he has risen through the ranks and ages as a Brahmin lecturer and is regarded to be very wise in his teaching to foreigners….well enough of that tangent] and worked with Missionary Nuns.

With all of this doesn’t even come close to this community.

I attended last year in Winnipeg.
I think about it often and listen to their sermons online – the pastor has a clear heart for serving the community, not just the congregation. The ego is released as he would often stop talking/singing to ask questions and let others interact – all of this in a cool funky cafĂ© style, art gallery/theatre with coffee/tea breaks in a trendy area of the peg.
His words still ring in my heart. I wish more places like that existed around the world – it truly would be a peaceful place.

Epilogue:

Here at home my faith defines my life. I don’t know exactly what I am – but I know what I am not.
I am not Christian, Hindu, Buddhist and definitely not Muslim – bizarrely I am a combination of the 1st three.
Christianity is my rock; Salvation, Grace and Servant hood continually inspire me.
Buddhism, Berber [and Jonathon Larson] has definitely inspired and molded my simple living, respect for the environment and equality [fair-trade] for all.
Hinduism is my heritage. Devotion is my strength.

Hopefully my rock and the current community that I fully love can meld all three into one – it’s scary when you have to take parts of other faiths to define you because you can’t find the truth in one.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Have you read Life of Pi, it reminds me a lot of you actually.

kate said...

it's funny becuase you told me about how much you loved the exchange church so when i was home for the summer i asked everyone i knew about it and no one knew ... it was like it was hidding from me.

i never did figure it out the mystery. maybe next time, i guess.

hulia said...

Hey Jam...
I hear you on inter-religion front...lately I am so moved and inspried by the musilim mytics and by mulim thought and prayer...I feel like I am a bit of a Sufi at heart.
Hope you arewell.
Peace,
-julia

hulia said...

I'm also typing far too fast as you can see.